Thursday 5 March 2015

Question 4 – How did you use media technologies in the construction, research, planning and evaluation stages?

Question 4 – How did you use media technologies in the construction, research, planning and evaluation stages?

In order to construct my three media products; a music video, an album magazine advert and a digipak, it was vital that the use of technology was fully used. I consider myself lucky as there is a lot of professional resources where I have the ability to use. It’s very important that all of the technologies are used resourcefully whilst in the process of creating all the three tasks.
CAMERA
Media technologies has developed and progressed me to reach to the construction part of the project by using them to research for music genres, style of music videos and their conventions, then to planning out my music video, in terms of initial ideas, mood board and preproduction documents such as call sheets and floor plan. Then moving onto the constructing part, where camera and equipment were the main technologies to shooting and Premier was important for the editing stage.
With a range of media technologies just for filming and editing enabled me to understand functions of them. When it came to shooting my footage I used a Canon 600D SLR set on manual settings which meant I had to set up the aperture, ISO and the shutter speed. It was a new experience for me as compared to AS, I set up my photo-shoot to be shot in automatic settings, but as I am working with moving image, certain features such as the ISO and aperture may have to be set up due to the location of where I am shooting. For both my studio and outdoor shoot, I put my camera in the following settings: Prime aperture lens of 1.8mm, this is to allow more light and create a shallow focus and used for both indoor and outdoor. The shutter speed was 1/50 alongside with the ISO setting on 200-600, so that no grainy footage and images and gave the footage more of a HD look. The advantage of using a digital camera rather than a film camera is that I can spontaneously make decisions straight after taking an image or footage by reviewing it. This also saves time in planning out another shoot for another time whereas I can take more images and footage at the same time and same place after reviewing.  Nearly all of my shots, a tripod was used to ensure that all shots were sharp and still. If there was slight shakiness, then Premier enabled me to correct the footage by using the ‘warp stabiliser’ tool. Whenever I tried to apply this effect to the footage, it wouldn’t work and make the whole clip jump around, by asking my peers for help and staff, I learnt about the frames I shot on and there could be some complications if the settings were not right. However, there was another piece of equipment used which enabled me to shoot free hand close ups was the steadicam. The steadicam benefitted me shoot extreme close ups and move around. I achieved good quality footage that wasn’t shaky and proved to be ‘steadi’. Another equipment I used was lights, they were mainly used in the studio for the performance and the ballet performance. By having those lights set up, I could reduce my ISO on the camera and maximise the quality of the footage which also meant that the footage wasn’t grainy or pixilated.
SOFTWARE
In terms of constructing, I used Adobe Premier to edit the footage and to construct my music video. For me, this was the first time I was using Adobe Premier and had to practise by watching tutorials and create short case study analysis videos.   It seemed to be challenging at first as I had to work on a long continuous timeline. I chose Adobe Premier as the software provides a wide range of functions and effects that can be used during the editing process, the software is advanced and is commonly used in the industry. With my ancillary tasks, Adobe InDesign was the software I was very confident to use as I was already familiar with the tools and features. Adobe InDesign allowed me to create a digipak and an album magazine advert to support the music video by adding ________. In InDesign, there is a way to create two same pieces but in different layouts for example, for my album magazine advert, I made two versions, a portrait and landscape version. This tool allowed me to place images, texts and other features into one page and then it would automatically be applied to the landscape version, and it will be aligned to the exact position as the portrait one. Using these software’s has become beneficial to me due to having the opportunity to work with industry standard software.
INTERNET
The internet was the central element in this whole project because the internet provided me with information and allowed me to visit websites such as Blogger, YouTube and Google. I used Google a lot for majority of my research tasks and provides with plenty of information from many sources for any topic. Nonetheless, the internet facilitated to access many presentation websites such as Prezi and Slide share. Without this, I wouldn’t be able to research similar products of music videos, existing digipak’s and album magazine advert alongside planning out my music video by creating mood boards to using emails to contact the artist or the record label for permission and use blogger to post all the research and planning ideas.
At the start of the year, I had to create a blog for this course, the reason a blog was created is to be able to upload and share all work I have done that contributes to the planning, researching or constructing. I ensure I upload all tasks I have been doing so therefore I know what stage I am at. I used blogge­r.com to create my blog; I have been very familiar with blogger as I have used it ever since GCSE Media and AS Media, which meant that I wasn’t wasting my time into specifically setting up my blog. My blog portrayed my progress over the past 8-10 months of this project and were portrayed by using different presentation platforms via internet such as Prezi, Slide share and YouTube which enabled me to upload word documents such as the shot list and the rushes log via Slide share. Prezi is an online presentation platform that gives presentation a more creative and dynamic view to it. It was easy to use and made presentation more intriguing to watch rather than a basic PowerPoint and enabled me to present my thoughts clearly and make them look visually appealing. YouTube was also used to that I can access nearly any music video from any type of music genre, and get inspiration from them. YouTube was a platform where I was able to share my own work to the world by uploading a few raw footage, the many drafts of my music video and anamatic. Furthermore, my smartphone was another root to access internet and apps. I downloaded apps such as YouTube and blogger alongside Prezi to do some work via phone/tablet.

No comments:

Post a Comment